Demos

Sunday 5 December 2010

Hot bird

Hello

I have good news and I have bad news.  The good news is that this is the best song that I have written by a fair distance.  The bad news is that every one of my songs I post now will be worse than this until I am inspired again.  This could be a while.

Back to the track in hand.  This is a ditty about the man, the myth, the legend that is Tindall.  If you don't know him, please get to know him, you owe it to yourself.  We have been great mates since school and as much as I love the guy this song could have been written about any number of the birds he has chased!  I guess everybody puts other people on pedestals at some time in their life and can't see that they are going to get played - I know that I have and I'm sure that you have too.

The things I like about this song are the structure and the ooohhs in the first verse.  Worth pointing out that I got stuck when writing this song - I had up to the 3rd chorus and did not know which way to go.  Mark came up with the instrumental bit that lead back into the verse and enabled me to finish the song.  Thanks boss, you are a gent.

You may by now have figured out that I love double tracked rhythm guitars!  I FUCKING LOVE THEM!  I could listen to hard panned distorted guitars all day song.  I especially love it when you hear slight discrepancies between the 2 of them.  I remember when I first heard "Save the world lose the girl" by Midtown and I thought at the time that it was a kitchen sink production job and every thing was super tight.  I put this album on my iPod this year after not listening to it for ages and I was surprised by how different it sounds and the fact that the guitars were a lot more loose than I remembered.  Don't get me wrong, it's far more tight than I could ever play but it was loose enough to make it "human".  My ears are obviously a lot better nowadays than when I was at school.  I wish more modern pop-punk records let the guitars be more loose because I think it gives the recording a bit more personality.  That said, I tune all my vocals because I can't sing and I hate hearing autotune on other people's recordings.  I guess I am a hypocrite but no-one can touch me whilst I'm on my soapbox.  So there.

Here you go.  I know that if people listen to this they will think "hang on, he said that this was the best song he has written but it's just as shit as the rest of them" but I don't care, I think it's good.



Cheers

James

No comments:

Post a Comment